Safety : protection from dangers originating from non-human sources
Health and safety
"Safety measures for the use of a machine tool"
Security : pretection from dangers originating from human sources
"Security around the President of France"
Hazard : something that can cause harm or damage
"fire hazard ; chemical hazard"
Vocabulary : personal protective equipement
- Hard hat
- Safety glasses
- Safety goggles
- Safety visor
- Particle mask
- Ear plugs
- Ear muffs
- Work gloves
- Back support belt
- Knee pads
- Safety boots
- Fire extinguisher
The average person finds it difficult to assess risks. For this reason, work practices need to be regulated.
Examples of dangerous activities are:
- welding or grinding without goggles / face shield / face screen / visor
- working on a construction site work without a hard hat / safety helmet / bump cap
- working in noisy factories, on airport tarmacs and with outdoor machinery without earplugs / earmuffs
- working in chemical areas without a mask / a respirator
- smoking near flammable substances
- the full range of dangers arising from modern industrial processes, for example the widespread use of chemicals.