Exercice : drawing, designing, measuring, calculating
1. Fill in the sentences with the following words :
actual size ; CAD (computer-aided design) ; GA (General Arrangement) ; scale ; schematic drawings or schematics ; set
- Enlarged drawings show components larger than their ______________.
- For engineering drawings, 1:5 is a commonly used ______________.
- Whole machines or structures are shown on ______________ drawings.
- Electrical drawings don't usually show sizes. They're shown as ______________ .
- A ______________ of drawings for a large project can consist of hundreds of pages.
- Most drawings are produced on computers, using ______________ software.
2. Match the descriptions with the views used on drawings :
a 2D view of the side of an object
a 2D view inside an object, as if it is cut through
a 2D view, looking down on top of an object
|an isometric projection|
a 3D view, showing an assembly taken to pieces
|an oblique projection|
a 3D view, with the 2D face of the object at the front
|an exploded view|
a 3D view, with a corner of the object at the front
3. Complete the sentences using the following words and abbreviations
3D; detail; GA; plan; scale; schematic; section
- We need a ______________ through the bridge, showing the profile of the deck.
- The only drawing we have is the ______________, which is 1:100, so it obviously doesn't show things in detail.
- On drawing 12, there's a large ______________ of the entire top deck of the ship.
- Modern CAD systems can produce ______________ drawings that look almost as realistic as photographs.
- We don't need dimensions and positions at this stage. We just need a ______________ drawing showing how many branches come off the main supply pipe.
- We don't have a proper drawing. We've just got a rough sketch, which is not to ______________.
- The fixings aren't shown on the 1:50 general arrangement. But there's a ______________ at 1:5, on drawing 42.