Exercises : grammar
Exercise 1 : comparing
Use the information from the table to complete the sentences:
|Bridge||Type of bridge||Length of span in metres||Built|
|Humber bridge, England||Suspension||1410||1981|
|Golden Gate bridge, USA||Suspension||1280||1937|
|Verrazano Narrows, USA||Suspension||1298||1964|
|Quebec Bridge, Canada||Cantilever||549||1917|
|Firth of Forth Railway Bridge, Scotland||Cantilever||521||1890|
|Commodore John Barry, USA||Cantilever||501||1974|
|New River Gorge, USA||Steel arch||518||1981|
|Sydney Harbour Bridge, Australia||Steel arch||509||1932|
The Humber Bridge is ___________ (long) bridge listed in the table below. It is ___________ (long) than the Golden Gate Bridge in the USA but it isn’t ___________ (old). The Verrazano Narrows Bridge in the USA is ___________ (modern) than the Golden Gate Bridge but the Humber Bridge is ___________ (old). ___________ (extensive) cantilever bridge is the Quebec Bridge in Canada. It is 28 metres ___________ (long) than the Firth of Forth Railway Bridge in Scotland which is over 110 years ___________ (ancient). The ___________ (new) cantilever bridge is the Commodore John Barry which is also the ___________ (long). The New River Gorge is ___________ (short) and ___________ (old) than the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Exercise 2 : grammar
Fill in the text with the correct tense and form of the verb:
The project ______________ (run) according to plan so far. In October, negotiations for the site ______________ (be) carried out and a contract ______________ (be) signed. At the beginning of November we ______________ (have) meetings with the architects. Plans ______________ (be) submitted to the local planning authority on the 12 December. Workers ______________ (lay) services to the site in November and they ______________ (complete) the works by December. We ______________ (receive) planning permission last week and we ______________ (intend) to start construction of the building early next month.
Exercise 3 : Conditional
Fill in the blanks with the right tense and form :
- We'll carry on with the work when the conditions ________ (improve).
- If we'd known the weather was going to be this bad, we _______ (delay) the start of the project.
- Well, if the rain ______ (stop) soon, we'll get the foundations laid by evening.
- It could have been worse. Do you remember building that bridge last year ? If we ______ (not build) the dike of sandbags, the river would have flooded the town.
- And if we hadn't brought in that earthmover, we ______ (not make) it in time.
- If we get any more rain here, we ______ (have to) repair the potholes in the road before we can use it.
- Provided it (a) ______ (stop) soon, we'll be able to start preparing the timber. If they'd chosen another time of year, we (b) ______ (not have) these problems. It would be much nicer if we (c) ______ (have) indoor jobs at this time of year !